Unity is looking for a technical writer to document new software packages and features we are building for 3D artists. These features include AI-driven approaches to creating content for video games, movies, and architectural and product visualization, among other use cases.
You might be an experienced technical writer with an interest or background in 3D art, or you might be a 3D artist with the desire and ability to write. Whatever your background, you'll be a great technical writer at Unity if you have a passion for writing, language and simplifying complexity, an understanding of professional software for 3D artists and a curious mind, and a love of learning.
The Documentation team is made up of people from a variety of backgrounds, including technical authoring, game and software development, content management, and web copywriting. There’s no set path to becoming a good technical writer; if you have the above skills, then we can teach you anything you need to know. And if you bring considerable skills and experience, then we want to learn from you too.
When you join us, you’ll work collaboratively with developers and artists across the globe to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers our customers to get the most out of our software. This includes a mix of writing from scratch, revising draft documents supplied by developers, and overhauling legacy content.
- Write technical documentation, including code examples or step-by-step guidance, within a fast-paced software development schedule
- Gather, edit and publish content written by subject matter experts, and provide writing guidance and support to internal developers and artists
- Take ownership of the ArtEngine documentation, and assist with other areas of Unity graphics documentation
- Use ArtEngine and Unity regularly to enhance your understanding and the accuracy of the documentation
- Empathise with user needs, collaborate with the development teams, and communicate progress
- Use internal templates, standards and in-house style guide to create clear and reusable content
- Help a globally-distributed team improve the documentation user experience for our amazing developers and artists communities
- Experience working as a technical writer, content manager or 3D artist
- Some experience using industry leading 3D art software, like Photoshop, 3DS Max, Substance Painter, etc.
- Impeccable standard of written and spoken English
- Experience delivering results under tight deadlines
- Passion for gaming, 3D art, and an interest in the technology industry
- Experience using project management tools such as JIRA to track work
- Experience using Unity
- Experience using node graph based software (such as Substance Designer or Houdini)
- Material scanning experience, using either a photogrammetry process or a photometric stereo process
Some travel may be required between Unity offices around the world (San Francisco, Seattle, Brighton, Helsinki, Asia) and to some major industry events.
About Unity Technologies
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations.
The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Oculus, Autodesk, Microsoft and many more, to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Technical Writer position on WeChat
Don't see your dream job? Let us know what area you're interested in and we'll be in touch when we have a suitable position available.