Role descriptionThe Opportunity
Input is at the heart of what makes real-time projects created in Unity interactive. By providing a toolbox to understand and translate human intent, we believe that creators around the world can make the most immersive gameplay experiences.
We are looking for a software engineer that loves solving complex problems and has a passion for the development experience within Unity to strengthen the R&D Core Input team. In our view, solving complex problems requires a desire to understand users’ workflows and pain points, creativity, certain risk taking and the ability to work well within a team. It also requires being able to make decisions, iterate, ask questions, work with feedback and learn.
The team currently consists of passionate engineers with backgrounds and experience in development, quality-assurance, documentation or product design and is also supported by a Technical Program Manager and a Product Manager. The team is distributed with members primarily being located at Unity offices in Stockholm, Berlin, Copenhagen and Pittsburgh. We work according to agile principles and continuously try to improve both how we work and evolve our product to meet user expectations. We work closely with specialized teams across R&D to build support for creators to target many different platforms or devices with a single implementation effort.
We are on a continuous quest to support use-cases for games and other interactive experiences and craft the tools that enable Unity users to successfully realize their creative visions - across platform boundaries. A big part of the challenge is supporting a wide range of input methods and devices technically: keyboards, mice, gamepads, touch, pens, gestures, XR controllers etc. on a large number of target platforms like desktop, mobile or consoles. This drives a need to craft a flexible and consistent toolbox of technical solutions that at the same time support an appealing user onboarding process allowing Unity users to learn the basic concepts and slowly transition to more advanced concepts.What you'll be doing
- Help to continuously evolve and maintain existing input APIs and native back-ends and be part of evolving existing editor workflows and tools to enable creators to configure and design interactive gameplay.
- Develop new functionality, tools and samples to enable users to quickly set up controls for multiple platforms ranging from mobile to XR.
- Participate in team and cross-team discussion and initiatives to find and build solutions to support use-cases requested by our users.
- Work with abstraction of a multitude of input devices ranging from traditional devices such as keyboards and mice to touchscreens, XR controllers and future emerging device technology.
- Work with the full software life-cycle of software development ranging from finding solutions, prototyping, implementing, testing, releasing and maintaining.
- Someone who has the drive and interest to push the boundaries for current tools and to craft the tools of the future for designing interactive experiences and gameplay.
- Experience from developing interactive software in C# and .NET and who is passionate about developing high-quality software.
- Empathy for our users. At Unity, we put users first.
- Computer science degree (B. Sc or M.Sc.) or equivalent experience.
- Someone who thinks knowledge-sharing is important and wants to contribute to develop both the team and your co-workers.
- Experience in using Unity, or other game engines, in building interactive games or applications for desktop and/or mobile devices.
- Experience from working or experimenting with APIs to handle input data on one or multiple platforms supported by Unity.
- Experience in C++ development and/or C# interop.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity is the foundation upon which the world’s most powerful digital content is created. Specifically, Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
In the fourth quarter of 2021, Unity had, on average, 3.9 billion monthly active end users who consumed content created or operated with its solutions. The applications developed by these creators were downloaded, on average, five billion times per month in 2021. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment and celebrate our employees across age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. Our differences are strengths that enable us to support the growing and evolving needs of our customers, partners, and collaborators. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please fill out this form to let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Software Engineer, R&D Input position on WeChat