Input is at the heart of what makes real-time projects created in Unity interactive. By providing a toolbox to understand and translate human intent, we believe that creators around the world can make the most immersive experiences.
In the Core R&D Input team we are now looking for a senior engineer that loves solving complex problems and has a passion for the development experience within Unity to strengthen the team. In our view, solving complex problems requires a desire to understand users’ workflows and pain points, creativity, certain risk taking and the ability to work well within a team. It also requires being able to take decisions, iterate, work with feedback and learn.
The position is to be based in Stockholm or Berlin.
The team consists of six passionate engineers with backgrounds and experience in development, quality-assurance or product design and is also supported by a Technical Program Manager and a Product Manager. The team operates remotely with team members primarily being located at Unity offices in Stockholm, Berlin, Copenhagen and Pittsburgh. We work according to agile principles and continuously try to improve both how we work and evolve our product to meet user expectations. We cooperate closely with other specialized teams across R&D to build support for Unity users to target many different platforms or devices with a single implementation effort.
We are on a continuous quest to support use-cases for games and other interactive experiences and craft the tools that enable Unity users to successfully realize their creative visions - across platform boundaries. A big part of the challenge is supporting a wide range of input methods and devices technically: keyboards, mice, gamepads, touch, gestures, VR controllers etc. on a large number of target platforms like desktop, mobile or consoles. This drives a need to craft a flexible and consistent toolbox of technical solutions that at the same time support an appealing user onboarding process allowing Unity users to learn the basic concepts and slowly transition to more advanced concepts.
What you'll be doing
- Help to maintain and continuously evolve existing input APIs and native back-ends.
- Enable users to transition from the legacy Input API to to the new Input System as effortlessly as possible by providing documentation, example projects and through tool and API design.
- Develop new functionality and concepts to enable users to quickly set up controls for multiple platforms ranging from mobile to VR.
- Participate in team and cross-team discussion and initiatives to find and build solutions to support use-cases requested by our users.
- Work with support and abstraction of a multitude of input devices ranging from traditional devices such as keyboards and mice to touchscreens and VR controllers.
- Work with the full software life-cycle of software development ranging from finding solutions, prototyping, implementing, testing and releasing.
What we're looking for
- Understanding of large code bases involving C# and C++ and desire to solve the challenges it can bring.
- Empathy for our users. At Unity we put users first.
- Willingness to learn and grow as an engineer and as a person.
- Someone who wants to solve problems together with fellow team-mates and across team-boundaries to let the best ideas win. Who thinks knowledge-sharing is important and wants to contribute to developing both the team and your co-workers.
- Someone who is passionate about technology and developing high-quality software.
You might also have
- Prior development experience within Unity, preferably targeting both desktop and mobile.
- Experience from working with platform-specific or cross-platform APIs to handle input or output data on one or multiple platforms supported by Unity.
- Experience in building interactive games or applications and implementing automated tests for them.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
Unity is at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Senior Software Engineer, Input Systems position on WeChat