Unity is looking for an R&D Counsel to join its growing legal team. In this role, you will partner with the R&D and other engineering teams and the legal team focusing on a range of matters related to the development and release of our industry-leading suite of products. You will work on licensing matters, strategic partnerships and more. You will use your experience and knowledge in analyzing, structuring, drafting, and negotiating technology licensing, development, non-disclosure, open source and other agreements and providing ongoing legal counseling in the areas of intellectual property, technology, and licensing, with a focus on research and development for our game engine technology. Success in this role demands experience in or familiarity with software engineering, intellectual curiosity, strong practical legal skills, technology acumen, enthusiasm, a self-starter attitude, practicality, collaboration and communication.
- Partner with our R&D and engineering teams in the area of software release management, VR/AR/MR and real-time technology generally, cloud products and product development as a legal business partner providing full-service legal partnership
- Advise the company on the acquisition, licensing, development, and commercialization of third party software and technology
- Counsel R&D management in connection with transactional matters associated with licensing and collaboration agreements, intellectual property licensing strategies and protection of intellectual property rights
- Analyze potential legal risks and regulatory requirements for new products and technologies
- Help scale the legal organization by developing innovative processes to support the dynamic R&D, product and other engineering teams
- Partner with legal colleagues to design, implement and maintain appropriate processes and procedures to protect and build our key technology assets including developing standard license agreements, consents, authorization forms and information notices and materials reflecting Unity’s business and legal requirements
- Collaborate with legal colleagues to create and implement practical, accessible compliance structures to help scale the legal function at Unity
- Qualified legal professional with experience in one or more of the following: UK, Danish or US law
- Experience at leading law firm with national or international presence preferred
- May require some travel
- Prior in-house experience working with software, game development, enterprise software, Internet or high tech companies preferred
- Substantive expertise in intellectual property law, privacy and contract laws; M&A experience a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-resolution skills with the ability to think strategically and give practical advice by balancing business needs with legal risks
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Background or experience in real-time technologies a plus
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations.
The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Oculus, Autodesk, Microsoft and many more, to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Legal Counsel, R&D position on WeChat
Unity is hiring all the time, and we welcome unsolicited applications. Send us yours, and we'll get back to you when we have a suitable vacancy!