We are looking for a Head of Server Engineering to lead the team responsible for all the backend services for the Vivox voice communication service. Vivox is the leading provider of group voice communication for games and beyond. We provide and operate the communication technology for some of the world’s largest games including Fortnite, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and Rainbow Six Siege. Our products are used by over 100M people every month in every country on the planet.
As the Head of Server Engineering you will help guide and support our server engineering team. We believe in empowered engineers and servant managers, and so do you. You will drive engineering excellence and smart technical decisions by taking the best ideas available to you from the team or elsewhere. You will mentor and support career growth, while also developing new leaders as the team grows. You will partner closely with our Product team to understand the goals for the systems the team builds, and suggest smart compromises when managing scope. You will ensure we deliver on our commitments on time while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Manage a team of server engineers, setting both technical direction and guiding career development
- Maintain a culture of delivering on time and with high quality
- Collaborate with Product Management and other cross-functional teams to balance priorities with schedules
- Capture and create best practices, and be an advocate for those within and across teams
- Collaborate with QA to ensure our products are fully tested and working perfectly
- Drive internal education efforts, ensuring that the team's skills develop to keep pace with changing technology
- Experience hiring, managing and growing engineering teams both technically and for career and personal development
- Strong understanding of modern server development, threading/concurrency, audio processing, networking, automated testing
- Ability to share knowledge with others well, both verbally and in writing
- Experience in handling both legacy code and greenfield development and can make technical recommendations based on the needs of the project
- Ability to engage in technical discussions with clients and peers
- Network protocols
- Game engine experience
Who We are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations.
The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Facebook, Oculus, Autodesk, and Microsoft to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Head of Server Engineering position on WeChat
Unity is hiring all the time, and we welcome unsolicited applications. Send us yours, and we'll get back to you when we have a suitable vacancy!