The Documentation team at Unity is growing and we’re looking for a number of technical writers to join us on our mission to deliver great docs to our users. You might be an experienced technical writer who can teach us a thing or two, or a passionate writer with an interest in technology who is looking for their next challenge.
Whatever your background, you'll be a great technical writer at Unity if you have:
- A passion for writing, language and communication
- An understanding of technology and a natural affinity for IT
- A talent for simplifying complexity.
The Docs team is made up of people from a variety of backgrounds, including technical authoring, game development, content management, and web copywriting. There’s no set path to becoming a good technical writer, so we’re not concerned about specific university degrees or experience; if you have the above skills, then we can teach you anything you need to know. And if you bring considerable skills and experience, then we want to learn from you too.
When you join us, you’ll work collaboratively with developers across the globe to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers users to get the most from Unity products. This includes a mix of writing from scratch, revising draft documents supplied by developers, and overhauling legacy content.
You’ll be part of a talented, dynamic team of technical writers, content managers and information architects working across countries and timezones to support a passionate, growing community of developers and artists (around 1 million Docs visitors per month).
- Writing, editing, and reviewing technical documentation to support software releases
- Gathering, editing, and publishing subject-specific knowledge from subject matter experts and developers
- Supporting development teams to deliver high-quality technical content within a fast-paced software release schedule
- Using internal templates, standards and our in-house style guide (based on the Microsoft Writing Style Guide) to create clear and reusable content
- Helping a globally distributed team improve the documentation user experience for our amazing community
- Championing the role and importance of documentation within Unity and across the writing community
- Experience working as a technical writer, content manager or similar. We also welcome applications from people with a technical background and a passion for writing who are looking for a new career path
- Experience writing and publishing user-facing content for an international audience
- Excellent computing skills, ideally with an understanding of programming
- Impeccable standard of written and spoken English
- Experience delivering results under tight deadlines
- Passion for gaming or interest in the technology industry
- Knowledge or experience of programming languages, especially C#
- Experience producing documentation using HTML/CSS, Markdown or XML
- Understanding of source control tools (e.g. github, Mercurial) and techniques
- Experience of using issue trackers such as JIRA to track project tasks
Some travel may be required between Unity offices around the world (San Francisco, Seattle, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Asia) and to some major industry events.
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s most widely-used real-time 3D (RT3D) development platform, providing content creators around the world with the tools they need to build rich, interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR experiences. In fact, apps made with Unity reach 2.7 billion devices worldwide, and were installed more than 24 billion times in the last 12 months.
The global engineering team keeps Unity at the forefront of technology and — working alongside partners like Magic Leap, Google, Facebook, Oculus and Microsoft — ensures optimized support for the latest technology and platforms. Unity is powering the real-time revolution, expanding beyond games and breaking into other industries including automotive, film, architecture, engineering, construction and more.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Documentation Lead position on WeChat
Unity is hiring all the time, and we welcome unsolicited applications. Send us yours, and we'll get back to you when we have a suitable vacancy!