We are looking for an exceptional researcher to join Unity’s ML-Agents team within AI@Unity. The ML-Agents team is an applied research team focused on: 1. Enabling Unity as a premier simulation platform for Artificial Intelligence research ranging from locomotion to language-guided visual navigation, and 2. Enabling Unity developers to train character behaviors using machine learning techniques such as deep reinforcement learning and imitation learning. You will be working with a team of researchers and engineers to develop technologies for creating intelligent agent behaviors within Unity environments. Bringing these technologies to the Unity platform has the potential to both transform how games are created, tested, and evaluated, and push forward RL research by providing novel simulation environments.
You will have access to Unity’s vibrant ecosystem of developers and games, providing simulation environments that range from 2D turn-based to 3D real-time strategy, including networked and multi-player games. You will have the opportunity to extend state-of-the-art machine learning within this ecosystem, exploring areas such as generalization and adapting to changing observation and action spaces, efficiently leveraging real player data, hierarchical modeling, multi-agent, active/interactive learning within the Unity Editor and large-scale distributed training.
- Conducting original machine learning research on training character behaviors. This includes algorithm development, experimentation and writing high-impact research papers.
- Experimenting with training character behaviors in live and pre-production Unity games
- Contributing to the development of developer-facing APIs for transforming games into learning environments
- Contributing to the design and development of our large-scale distributed training system
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math or Statistics, Physics, or a related area
- Strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, data structures and algorithms
- Experienced developer with solid skills in Python, C# or C++
- Experience with Deep Learning Frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Published research in Deep Learning or Reinforcement Learning at major conferences or journals
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build relationships across the company
- Contributed to open source projects
- Experience with large scale data/distributed systems
- Experience with Unity Engine, 3D simulators, game development, or robotics
Who we are
Unity is the creator of the world’s most widely-used real-time 3D (RT3D) development platform, providing content creators around the world with the tools they need to build rich, interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR experiences. In fact, apps made with Unity reach 2.7 billion devices worldwide, and were installed more than 24 billion times in the last 12 months.
The global engineering team keeps Unity at the forefront of technology and — working alongside partners like Magic Leap, Google, Facebook, Oculus and Microsoft — ensures optimized support for the latest technology and platforms. Unity is powering the real-time revolution, expanding beyond games and breaking into other industries including automotive, film, architecture, engineering, construction and more.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Share the Research Scientist (PhD.) AI@Unity position on WeChat
Unity is hiring all the time, and we welcome unsolicited applications. Send us yours, and we'll get back to you when we have a suitable vacancy!